For the investors not familiar with surveyors or appraisers, would you mind giving a broad introduction of the concept and explain what they do?

• For the investors not familiar with surveyors or appraisers, would you mind giving a broad introduction of the concept and explain what they do?

• EXPERT

You’ll often find the terms surveyor and appraiser used interchangeably, but appraisal is one of many roles that a surveyor will fulfil. In its simplest form, appraisal is providing an opinion of value for an asset at a certain point in time which is a function of a surveyor. Surveying on the other hand is a very broad term which can includes professionals dealing in the sales of real estate, measurement of land, assessment of art and antiquities or dealing with land disputes amongst many other roles.

Most people however will use a surveyor when they require professional advice in relation to a property asset. The term surveyor comes from our historical role which was to ‘survey’ land. From here however the profession expanded and so while we do still ‘survey’ land and property, we generally provide a full advisory service to our clients.

Typically, surveyors will be members of a professional institute. For example I am member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) which is headquartered in London, but includes around 125,000 professionals globally. For the purpose of today, I will use the term surveyor to refer to a Chartered Surveyor, who is a member of the RICS.

For more insights on surveying check out the episode I did with Denzity! https://youtu.be/lRp0f978Xvk