What are the potential risks for real estate investors neglecting engaging with a proper surveyors?

• What are the potential risks for real estate investors neglecting engaging with a proper surveyors?

• EXPERT

I’ve seen so many instances of investors who have either failed to take professional advice, or engaged the wrong type of professional and it has resulted in them making costly mistakes which could so easily be avoided.

In my mind, the purpose of appointing a professional is to de-risk a decision and that is absolutely the case with real estate investment. A properly qualified surveyor will be able to provide an investor with an un-bias independent opinion on a property.

This sounds simple, but numerous investors pay over the odds for a property, or agree unfavourable lease terms because they haven’t used the right professionals to advise them.

One example that springs to mind is an investor who purchased a retail building which had a construction defect. A qualified building surveyor would have been able to spot this defect and saved the client a huge sum of money from the retrospective works they then had to carry out. Another example is a landlord who decided to lease some of their office space without appropriate advice. As such, they agreed a rental level well below the market tone and agreed lease terms with the tenant which were particularly unfavourable to the landlord.

For more insights on surveying check out the episode I did with Denzity! https://youtu.be/lRp0f978Xvk