Does buying a house in France qualify you for a residency visa?

  • Does buying a house in France qualify you for a residency visa?

  • admin

    But getting a residence card—Titre de Séjour—is simple, and with it, you have free health care. If you Don't pay French taxes and have a French tax number, though, you can’t open a French bank account—which could pose a big problem when you buy a house or apartment, and for things like electricity and car insurance which are typically deducted automatically from your French account—as in la taxe d’habitation, the ‘park-yoour-carcass tax. See a French lawyer before you buy—you can find yourself in huge trouble and big-time out of Pocket if you don’t know what you’re doing. Ask me how I know. If you are older or retired, know that your inheritors will pay enormous death duties on what you leave them in France. You can ‘sell’ them your property EN VIAGER (google this), and they won’t have to pay death duties on it.


    Non-citizens can buy property - look at the number of Russians and Saudis who own lavish properties in Paris, or for that matter Americans and others who own second homes in France - but there is no connection between that and residence rights. In fact, the general clampdown on illegal residents means that you may be asked to prove that you have a genuine residence in some other country and that you’re not living in the French property for more than three months in any calendar year.


    Owning property in France does not necessarily entitle you to any claim of official residency. You’d have to use an attorney (which I can recommend), and having an apartment or house would undoubtedly help your case. It’s much easier to establish residency here than the U.S., that is for sure. But there is a process.
    The first visa would be a titre de séjour (which allows you to live and work but not vote), the duration of which would vary depending on your situation.
    Another path to getting a visa is being sponsored by an employer.
    One other possibility is a long-stay visa, and you’ll need an attorney for this.
    As for the property, there are no restrictions on use per se, except as dictated by a building’s by-laws in the case of an apartment. If you didn’t have a long-term visa, you’d have to leave the Schengen area every three months to renew your tourist visa.


    NO, and also remember that when you buy there are stamp duties of around 8 percent with notary papers and so long you are nonresident there is one-third of profits on rentals to be paid to tax and also that they are specific capital gain on properties in France; it is only tax-free after 22 years on some parts and 30 years on other part CSG RDS which is already 11 percent on the profit.

Log in to reply